Osprey

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Ranger-led tour at Reelfoot Lake. We watched osprey coming and going at a few nesting sites.

Specific Feedback

The sun was not always at our backs I think due to wind direction. Any thoughts on the light on these birds? I tried to raise shadows where needed while keeping the look realistic.

Technical Details

Canon R7, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, hand held
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/2500s

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
4 Likes

I think you did an excellent job on the shadows, Allen. They look quite natural to me-essentailly giving the appearance of a hazy overcast. The various landing poses are all excellent, though I really like the one with the straight on eye contact. Excellent work.

1 Like

another impressive display of large flying raptors. Good wing positions. Excellent light and detail. All are Well composed. It must be nice having such great access to the variety that you often photograph. I must admit I’m jealous.

1 Like

I’m with David, jealous. LOL You did a great job of capturing each shot. I really like the last shot. Coming in for a landing.

1 Like

Another nice series!
every shot is good, with fine detail and action.
#1 and #3 have the best eye contact, so are my favorites.
Easy to miss the chicks on the first image, so you might consider cleaning up their heads a bit so they are more visible.
Fine work!

1 Like

Color me jealous, too!! You have been doing outstanding work, with credit going way beyond the locations and photo-ops. Wonderful photography and processing!

I love all these poses, and the shadows and highlights are simply gorgeous on all, with wonderful detail and compositions!

1 Like

@Diane_Miller @Dennis_Plank @SandyR-B @David_Schoen @SkipsPics

Thank you for the comments everyone! Much appreciated

Diane, thanks so much for your positive comments on my recent body of work. It means a lot coming from someone with the skills you have.