Ottoman Oak

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this image in Cumalıkızık, a 700-year-old Ottoman village in Turkey that has seen the sun rise and set more times than we can count. Here, the old oak door stands, weathered but strong, with vines and grapes reaching over it like a natural crown. The door has been here for ages, opening and closing for hands now long gone. It’s a simple scene, really — just wood, leaves, and the quiet history they share. This doorway isn’t just an entry to a cellar; it’s a passage through time, holding firm while life blossoms around it.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

40 mm at ISO 160 and 1⁄40sec at ƒ/4.5

1 Like

Hi Don, This is nice black and white. The texture of the wood, cracks in the render and the curve of the vine which is reflected, reversed, in the door frame really give it a feeling of age. Could the shadow of the vine on the wall be enhanced a bit as well as the cracks in the render? Although it’s a minor thing for a great image.

This is absolutely gorgeous!! It definitely evokes another world, long lost to today’s modern conveniences – a garden in which to sit and contemplate, read, enjoy a glass of excellent wine or a wonderful but simple meal.

I love the composition, with the door not fully included, leaving room for my imagination to fill in the blanks, to wonder what I can’t see. Fantastic!!

@Diane_Miller @mark29

Glad you like it! It was a fascinating village full of this type of scene.

Mark I’ll have look at the shadow of the vine, I did think about enhancing the cracks but thought I preferred the subtlety of them as they are.

Diane I would have loved to step through that door to see what was on the other side, by the looks of it it probably hasn’t been opened for at least 50 years.

Thanks for your feedback! :pray:

What a beautiful scene. It does speak to age and times gone by. Your words always enhance your images - I really enjoy that.

Thanks Bonnie! :pray:

Beautiful Image !!! The Tone and Composition really speaks to me.