Painted Lady Feeding

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5DMark III, F 5.6, 1/400 , iso 300 with 180 Macro Lens X 1.4 Ext. Cleaned up several boarder leaves and denoise/sharpened with Topaz Lab.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Wayne, this is a fine image, in my opinion. I love the three quarter view of him, on that nice butterfly bush bloom. I like how it fades out in size and focus behind him. You have a nice smooth BG that makes him and the flower just pop. Well done.

John Wayne: Really good shot. I like your POV and your DOF choice. My only suggestion for a tiny improvement would be to make the small leaf on the stem at the right edge go away but this works very well just as is. :+1: :+1:>=))>

John, this is quite nice. I’ve been photographing some butterflies on our butterfly bushes, but the flowers don’t look as good as yours. I would agree with Bill about the cutoff leaf at the right edge, and I the background feels just a touch too saturated for my taste, but both of those are subjective. Nicely done!

Repost Thanks to all ,removed

leaf on bottom right and tried to lower saturation to the background.

Wayne, this is a fine look at this butterfly on a lovely bunch of flowers. I think your square crop works better with the shape and position of the subject.

I prefer your original posted image - it’s a gorgeous piece of art! Amazing that you caught that butterfly so still and you have no sharp shadows, but pretty even light. The leaf on the lower right doesn’t distract to me. Without it the leave the ‘stick’ seems too lifeless.

Thanks Greg, Agree on the first post. This butterfly is about the size of a dime and moves quickly and is somewhat comical because of his serious " under-bite."
Wayne

1 Like

[quote=“beautythief, post:7, topic:16436”]

[/quote]Mark ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?