Pasque flower abstract + repost

Pasque flower seedhead (Pulsatilla vulgaris) catched some drops of water during the rain. The colorful background is from a patch of mossy saxifrage (Saxifraga arendsi).

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The DOF is shallow, but is it too shallow?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

Re-edited version after suggestions:

1 Like

Hi Katharina, welcome to NPN. Pasque flowers are quite striking both as flowers and as they go to seed. This is a fine look at this seed head, with quite a dramatic background. The dof looks fine, as it show off the drops in the center well. The tendrils of the seeds create a nice zoom effect.

This is really cool, Katharina. I love the water drops and the filaments of the Pasque Flower. I do think a little more depth of field might have helped, but itā€™s hard to be sure., because I donā€™t know how far out the issues lie. The points that I find bothersome are some of the out of focus droplets that go pure white and a couple of filaments that go white toward the edge of the frame. It might work just as well to handle those in post processing as to try to find a depth of field that fixes them (if there is one).

Welcome, Katharina. This is lovely. The colorful background used to set off the flower works well. The green stem catches my eye a bit too much, if you want the focus to be on the central part of the flower. Perhaps just desaturating it a bit so it doesnā€™t have such a strong color contrast with the pink. Very dynamic photo.

Welcome to the forum. This is a fabulous photo! Well done. I think the DOF is perfect. I think the bright white small areas are a little distracting (not a deal breaker) and could easily be muted by adding some color. My technique for doing this in PS is to choose a color, change the mode from Normal to Soft Light, and decrease the opacity to somewhere around 5% and paint until you get the desired effect. The green stem doesnā€™t bother me; it echoes the green in the center of the flower.

Katharina, welcome to NPN. What a first shot to post. Excellent. I love the little droplets. Well done. Looking forward to more of your images.

Welcome! The DOF looks fine to meā€¦the drops in the center in focus and the spines also sharp, against a blurry background. Quite eye-catching and beautiful!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the interesting suggestions. It is always interesting to read how images are perceived by others, and how some things you have never noticed yourself are bothersome to others. I have reworked the image and muted some of the bright spots and filaments, and also desaturated the stem a bit. Thank you @Mark_Seaver @Dennis_Plank @Bonnie_Lampley @Tony_Siciliano @Shirley_Freeman @Mark_Muller for the kind words and suggestions.

I have put the re-dited version directly under the original one for better comparison.

Katharina, two minor details related to how NPN operates. Iā€™ve added ā€œrepostā€ to your title. That lets others know that youā€™ve added another version (and sometimes we see folks adding more than one additional view). Also, you can add multiple images to your original post. Doing that lets others move from one view to any other views in the large scale view using the arrows that show up when thereā€™s more than one image in a particular post. To do this, click on the pencil icon under your original post, go to a new line and hit the Add Image button.

Thanks and noted. I have changes the posts accordingly.

Superb job on the repost, Katharina. A beautiful image made better.

1 Like