Pelican Preening at the Pier +Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This pelican, perched on top of an old wooden post, seems to be taking a moment for itself, smoothing down its feathers with a kind of care that feels both methodical and soothing. It’s a regular part of its day, sure, but there’s something about the way the sun lights up its back and beak that turns this everyday act into something special.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

373 mm at ISO 640 and 1⁄160sec at ƒ/10

I like the pose and the open bill. Good eye contact and Iike the angle of the shot with the clouds in the background. The feather detail looks good. It’s a large bird, so for me it feels a bit tight in the frame.

Nice pose Saundie. The preening pose is interesting with open beak as Allen mentions. You seem to have a knack for catching those clouds in the BG - well done. Overall sharpness looks good - well done for 1/160s - even though I think I notice some blur at the end of the beak - no big deal though. Perhaps a tad more room on the right. Nice image.

@Allen_Brooks @Allen_Sparks

Thanks for the feedback, I have open up the crop … looks better thanks! :+1: