Peregrine and GBH

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a juvenile peregrine falcon playing with a Great Blue Herron. This happened just off the cliff face where the falcons are nesting and out over the ocean. The juvis will attack almost anything regardless of size as they begin to hone their flying skills. This bird has only been flying for about 1 week although they start chasing other birds almost immediately after they start flying. When the winds kick up in the late morning and early afternoon, they catch the currents coming off the ocean and hitting the cliff face and the juvis will play together doing talon grabs, and doing all kinds of aerobatic gymnastics. All this while flying REALLY FAST!

Thanks for taking a look. I appreciate it.

Technical Details

Z9, 800mm lens, ISO 1600, 1/5000, f/6.3, manual, Hand Held

2 Likes

WOW!! Incredible and wonderful!! That says it all!

1 Like

Hi David, what an intriguing image! Love the pursuit behavior you captured. Looks like the great blue wasn’t expecting that kind of treatment. Also love the topside view and spread tail of the falcon. Great catch!

A wonderful image, David. The juxtaposition is amazing here… :+1:
Whenever I see the smaller avian in pursuit or attacking larger avian in flight it has the recall of smaller faster fighter aircraft after a larger much slower bomber… :small_airplane:… :airplane:

This is such cool action, David. When I first looked at it I wondered if it was just coincidence that they crossed paths, but having both in focus and the heron’s obvious reaction, that notion was put to rest in a hurry. Interesting observations on the juveniles’ behavior as well. Keep these coming!

You witnesses a true WOW moment and even better, you captured it. I had no idea that young peregrines exhibited such behaviors. Congrats on getting all the technicals correct as getting both birds sharp makes this photo compelling. Well done!

@Diane_Miller , @Allen_Sparks , @Paul_Breitkreuz , @Dennis_Plank , @Richard_Sandor…Thank you so much for your comments on this and for taking the time give me your thoughts. These juvis are never boring, that’s for sure. You never know what they’re going to do next. Yep, more to come. :slight_smile:

Thank you Allen for the EP!

1 Like

HI Dave
This clearly an Editor pick. Very cool photograph.
Peter

David, this is a truly extraordinary shot! It’s as compelling as, say, a leopard ambushing its prey. And technically, it’s marvelous as well. Uber-clean background, perfect shadows on under-feathers and feet. The only possible suggestion I might make would be to consider bringing out the downward curve of the neck just a bit, right behind the edge of the white neck feathers in front of the falcon. When I look at the image as a whole, the head seems to have been pasted on eroneously because the white neckline is so clearly defined that bend in the neck isn’t obvious. I had to look very closely to see the continuity. On the other hand, though - and to be fair – if I was simply lucky enough to observe this moment from the bluff, I undoubtedly wouldn’t see things any better than this anyway.

It’s a really stunning image, David! May I ask where you shot it? Best regards and much admiration – Michael