There's always one +Suggested edits

Original

Cropped from the left and slightly from the top and bottom

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Peregrine falcons gathering around the dinner table with a very tired looking mom and the one stand out who’s never happy. These chicks have just fledged and they still have lots of their undercoat of down feathers. They spend most of the day itching themselves to get rid of those feathers. I just love the look of the mom.

Specific Feedback

Nothing specific. Just sharing. Hope you enjoy this one.

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400 lens with converter, 560mm, ISO 1250, f/8, 1/640, hand held

3 Likes

David, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a gathering of any Falcons in a scene such as this. This is a wonderful collection of family members together… :sunglasses:
If my memory serves me right I think they actually have a membrane like cover that protects their eyes during high speed dives. As well as their nostril tubes are fluted for proper air intake during those same high speed dives. Nature sure has away of building the perfect machines for certain functions… :+1:

Very cool, David. I like this a lot. We don’t often get to see into the lives of these birds. It’s nice to see them all looking healthy and three chicks well along to adulthood. The detail in the image is excellent. Given the portrait like crop, you might go even a bit tighter with a touch more off the left and top.

1 Like

Terrific image David. Nice sharpness on all the birds and great to see the eye of each. Nice interaction you captured too. All looks good to me. Well done.

1 Like

What a great family scene, David! :slight_smile:

Your choice of f/8 for the aperture opening was great because it provided just the right amount of focus depth (DOF).

I like mom’s expression as well but the other two are very interesting to me, one is looking at the other while the other is looking at you, it’s like they just want to stay out of the interaction between mom and the third sibling. :roll_eyes:
It’s probably all about food (isn’t it almost always about food with young wildlife?), maybe the upset sibling is fussing that the others got more than their share?
But, looking closer, the fussing falcon and the sibling that’s looking at you have evidence of food on their beaks while the sibling on the lower right has a clean beak, maybe that one should be the one doing the fussing?

Anyway, enough with analyzing the falcon story.

The exposure is perfect in my view and the perspective/composition is great, I do however see Dennis’s point about cropping off the left side slightly, maybe a 4:5 ratio? (using the ratio as a reference only, crop to whatever feels right to you). That said, it does work as presented so the crop is just a thought for improvement on an already awesome image! :slight_smile:

I really enjoyed viewing and commenting on this great capture, David! :slight_smile:

What a great image. I like that the young one in the middle, still has breakfast on his face. Great photo.

1 Like

This is great! The looks on all their faces are priceless. The weary mom, the argumentative teenager, and one giving you a what-are-looking-at-dude look. :+1:

I very much appreciate your comments and suggestions @Paul_Breitkreuz , @Dennis_Plank , @Allen_Sparks , @Merv , @Kathryn_Garlick , @Bonnie_Lampley.
I will post a revision tomorrow with the crop suggestion. I agree.
It is truly incredible to be able to photograph these falcons every year. The ability to get full frame close ups, even with a 400mm speaks to how close they allow you to get.
I believe the chick closest to the right of the frame was fed a whole finch before mom came in and beak fed the other two. They were right at the age when mom and dad stopped feeding them little pieces and simply gave them whole birds allowing the chicks to learn how to pluck feathers and feed themselves. Dad hunts all day long and is tireless. It must be exhausting for both parents. This pair usually fledges 4 chicks every year almost without fail and we are lucky enough to be able to watch the whole process.
Enough of that. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts about this image and for taking the time to post.

2 Likes

Wow, David! What a great family moment you captured. I also like the other details you wrote about them in your last post. What a privilege to get to watch them up close year after year! It really helps you to get to know personalities and capture them this way. The mom looks exhausted but very patient. And I love the one looking at you! It’s one of those looks between friends where no words have to be said, ‘he’s at it again!’ Really wonderful capture!

Thanks, Vanessa. It is absolutely a privilege to be able to shoot these every year. I sure don’t take it for granted. The male has bands with the number 2 and a Z so he has been nick named Toozy for the past few years. He is an incredible hunter. When the birds are just fledging and they need lots of food he always has it. One morning, he brought in 4 birds in less than an hour. He’s amazing and he loves playing with the chicks in the air. Mom can disappear for hours at a time and there are actually days when nobody sees her. Nobody really knows why but it could actually be that she is out hunting as well and is handing off prey outside our purview so we don’t see her hunt. That would be my best guess. Anyway, they have almost become like family members to many of the people who come to see them, and not all of them are photographers and many come from all over the country. They are very special indeed.

1 Like