Pine Siskin on Ice + Repost

We’re experiencing bitter cold temps, ice, and snow here in Oklahoma. But the birds need to be fed - and photographed!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom, f/8, 1/350 sec., ISO 800, Hand Held. Av Mode. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, sharpness, and NR. Ai De-noise also lightly applied (about 5 per cent).

Very nice job, Terry. I’m loving the background in this image and the icy perch really tells a story. I do wish the Siskin had given you a bet better head turn. I also think you could increase the exposure a bit-it looks just a bit dark on my monitor.

1 Like

Thanks, Dennis. I wondered if it was a little dark. I can’t do anything about the pose, but I can adjust the exposure.

Nice job on the repost, Terry. I think I see a hint of light in the eye that you could also bring up if you want to get carried away. It can be a bit tricky not to go too far on that.

Very nice detail and lovely BG! Lightening it worked well. I wonder ably the branch at the top, but would hate to lose the interesting BG detail in an attempt to remove it.

@Dennis_Plank I think I’ll leave well enough alone, Dennis. As I continue to improve my processing, I might try it later!

@Diane_Miller Thanks, Diane. Yeah, that branch is a bit problematic but, as you said, I was afraid to try to remove it. I might play with it later as my skills improve.

Good job on the color and detail. I also found the OOF branch to be distracting so I removed it with the patch tool and the healing brush tool. I also recropped and lightened a tad. I took the suggestion from Dennis with the eye. Hope thats not too much… We have a lot of Pine Siskins here in the Pacific Northwest, especially this year when they created problems mobbing the feeders resulting in a Salmonella outbreak. We had to stop feeding for a few weeks. This affected Dennis, David Leroy,and myself.

1 Like

Wow…nice job, David. I’m not sure there is a “patch” tool in PSE 2020. If there is, I know not where it’s located. Of course, add that to the lengthy list of the things I don’t know about PSE. I’m workin’ on learnin’ it, though. Thanks

David’s repost does a very job on the photo. Well done Terry on the bg. Looks great. I like the ice covered stick the siskin is holding on to. Tells a story by itself.

1 Like

Thanks, David, I’ve tried to become much more aware of BG’s and perches as I have continued to learn.