Pine Siskin

I like the eye and body position here. A close crop but necessary when shooting into a tree. We had a bit of sun yesterday for a few hours but back to the rain today.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
iso 4500, 300, f5.6, 1000th, handheld, D850, 35% of full frame

1 Like

Very nice pose and great detail on the bird! I do wish the BG were a little more OOF and lower in contrast and saturation.

Unfortunately, that is part of the beast when you shoot at a bird in the bush. A bird on the hand is better than two in a bush…

1 Like

I like the bird in the image very much. Great pose, lovely details. The branch is also a nice bonus with the soft curved arc in a nice place in the frame.

Normally I wouldn’t bother with altering the background of an image like this, but I think it is such a nice image I wondered what a little work might do. I created a good selection of the bird/branch to isolate the background. De-saturated the background a bit and darkened it slightly. Then used Surface Blur to soften it up just a bit. I like Surface Blur better than Gaussian for things like this. Anyway just a quick experiment to see what might be available.

A very nice close up of the Siskin. Nice and sharp and well focused. The bird is on a good spot on the perch. I like the blurred bg in Keith’s repost although I would like a bit of yellow added back in to liven it up just a bit. Either way the photo works as a bird in a bush.

Great pose and perch, David. Detail is excellent as always and the light is superb. I like the idea of mellowing out the background a bit.