Pine Siskin + Repost for NR

An irruptive species, Pine Siskins are seen in Oklahoma winters only every other year, as a general rule. I always look forward to their uncertain and unpredictable arrival.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM @ 220mm, f/6.7, 1/500 se., ISO 800. Processed in ACR and PSE2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Rework:

2 Likes

Beautiful specimen with a nice BG. It feels a little topheavy and I’d think about a slight crop from the bottom.

It looks like denoise missed the area around its feet – the different algorithms are worth comparing for issues like that. I also think less sharpening would help the image. I get best results with only the tiny default sharpening in the raw stage, which compensates for de-mosaicing the Bayer sensor pattern. First thing in PS, I make a separate layer and run denoise, then clone on that clean layer. Sharpening is really a myth, and is done by introducing artifacts that make things look sharper. If you resize after sharpening you can have problems with crunchy artifacts. The Topaz DeNoise algorithms will sharpen a little and I often dial down that sharpening setting. I export the JPEGs to post here from LR and it does minimal sharpening – not to a visible level.

It is such an energetic pose you’ve got here! I can just picture it diving to the ground to feed. Diane pointed out with technical expertise what I could not, but I could definitely see something up with the feet. You could also experiment with cloning the twig on the branch…it’s a bit awkward, but birds will land where they want.

Thanks @Diane_Miller @Kris_Smith. Sharp eyes, Diane. I did a little cleanup on the image and will repost for your perusal. Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Yes, much better! But I wouldn’t have cropped any from the right, only the bottom. The bird is more pleasing with a little room “to look or move into”. That reduces some tension in the image.

I think it’s best to let the subject and any BG elements determine the best aspect ratio rather than being tied to a particular one.

1 Like

The reposted improve. Not as crunchy. These are fun little birds to photograph. I like the pose. Color and detail looks good.

Thanks for your comments, David.

A very pretty bird, Terry. Repost is nice.

1 Like