Pitcher's Leather flower + revision

Cropped to 4200x2800

Cropped 5000x3200

I discovered this little flower on a hike a couple of week’s ago. I’d never seen this type before. It was very small and well off the trail. Had to use my 28-300mm fully extended and even then cropped a bit.

I am wondering how the different crops work for you? I elected to make the smaller crop to remove the vine in the LL portion of the image. I still did some cloning to remove some of the miscellaneous vines. Any other thoughts or comments?
Nikon Z6ii, f/6.3, 1/15sec., iso 200 @ 300mm, tripod and remote release.
Thanks for taking a look.

1 Like

Linda, what a gorgeous find during your hike! I’ve never seen one before and it looks so dainty. Appears to like the forest shade well enough too, and I’m surprised to see those prickers close by. I’m totally in favor of the first crop, where the subject is a bit off-center and a little larger too. The lighting is very soft and your exposure seems about right, but I do wonder if a composition more to the left to include the curvature of the stem would improve the look of this wildflower.

1 Like

What a terrific find of a rare wildflower, Linda! I grow Clematis fremontii, also known as Fremont’s Leather-flower, in one of my flower beds. It’s one of my wife’s favorite plants. Anyway, I think either crop is okay by my eye, but I slightly prefer the first. Either way, this is a terrific photo of a seldom found wildflower! Congrats!

1 Like

Wow!! What a gorgeous flower, even more so in the tangle of thorns! The first one for me, and I could take even a bit more off the left. Wonderful sharpness, tonalities and detail! I think you have something very special here!!!

1 Like

I also agree that the first crop is best, Linda. I also really like the soft light and luminosity of the whole scene. Wonderful find and great work on processing too.

1 Like

I’m joining the crowd with the first crop, Linda. It is a beautiful wildflower, of which I have never seen. Good eye to spot it, and an excellent job capturing it without getting stuck by those sharp needles. I just love the color and shape of that bloom.

1 Like

Thank you, @Jim_Lockhart, @terryb, @Diane_Miller, @David_Bostock and @Shirley_Freeman. As a struggling/trying to find my niche amateur photographer, I truly value all of your input. Only wish I had more experience so that I could give back to the community as much as I have received.
I did do a revised version of the little flower based on your thoughts and suggestions. . .just for fun.

2 Likes

Linda, I like this version. Only one tiny nit. The short limb/thorn coming into the right side of the frame, with it’s brightness seems to be drawing my eye. But the square crop works well for me. I think you give back to the community more than you realize, Linda. We are all at different levels, but sometimes it’s just an extra eye to spot something that might be distracting, before someone goes to print. I know I for one appreciate your input. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks, Shirley. Just now saw that extra thorn! Appreciate your kind thoughts.

Linda, the flower stands out nicely in all versions. The first version places it in a more visually favored position in the frame, but the larger version does a better job of creating a feeling of it being more hidden and I like that extra greenbriar branch there and the leaves (both sharp and soft). Here’s a quick look at what I’m thinking.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark. I see what you mean; the flower is in a more pleasing position right of center and including the stems/vines on left create a subtle nature frame. Thanks again, I truly value your perspective and input.