Potinara Samantha Duncan Orange Tart

A very interesting name for a bright red orchid. No flash in this one, only LED lighting. Working with this one has made this extremely dark and dreary and rainy day in the Pacific Northwest more bearable.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-100, 105 mm macro, F5 .6, 30th, tripod, D 850, 30 image stack done in the camera. Processed with Zerene stacker

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David: This is a striking flower that demands all the attention IMO. I would crop away almost all of the stem and leaf as they don’t add much to the image. Really good even lighting that brings out all the details in this beautiful bloom. >=))>

Hi David,

I was going to suggest cropping, but Bill beat me to it. For a shot like this, I would stack some images to get the stem sharp as well, but artistically this version works nicely. You may want to reduce the saturation in the stem as it does pull my eye away from the flower. Well done…Jim

I like Bill’s crop because it centers my attention on the beautiful flower. It is similar to an extremely tiny flower I have seen at the local orchid show. Small but with great impact. Nicely captured.

Agree with Bill - A beautiful flower, artistically done requires full attention. Agree with the crop.