Powder River Basin

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The authentic depiction of the use of the land over a long time and the remnants of human involvement.
Is there enough contrast in the sky to feel ominous?

Creative direction

Development of a feeling of inevitable, constant change.

Specific Feedback

Is the story intuitively obvious?

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D IV; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 70mm; f/16 @ 1/40 sec, ISO 200; gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; Canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Description

An abandoned work shack and corral in a grassy meadow of Powder River Basin are left to succumb to the forces of nature over time.
The story of Powder River Basin is—in reality—the story of grass. Grass has translated to the economic basis for cultures in western North America for 10,000 years or more. That vegetation has since become an even bigger piece of the Powder River Basin story: plants buried for millions of years have cured into thick coal seams or deep pools of oil underground.

You really captured the feel of the distances in this country and I like the sky. I think much more contrast there would start to look a bit contrived. I get the story, but to me this is more about the feel of the place.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your comments. I stopped to photograph the derelict building and chose to make the plains more prominent which is the real story. I played with the contrast in the sky, more/less, and ultimately settled with what you see. A necessary element here, without being imposing or distracting.