Praying Mantis + Redo 2

Redo 2

Redo

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Ran across this fellow on a hike and spent about an hour following him around.

Specific Feedback

ideas to make it better

Technical Details

Lumix S5

Steve, these guys are fun to photograph. I haven’t had too many opportunities, but always look forward to the chance. I wish he had turned his head toward you in this shot. It looks like he is either distracted by something else, or about to flee from the photo op. Nature doesn’t always cooperate for us. On my screen the greens seem a bit too green, like it is over saturated maybe. I do like the V-shape that is framing him so nicely.

Steve, I really like this peek into another world. I can see Shirley’s point on the greens being pretty bright, and it might make this a bit more secretive if they were toned down a bit.

I think Shirley has some great ideas, Steve. That red blob under the chin distracts me quite a bit. I don’t know if you can remove it, but I think it would be an improvement if you could.

Thanks, everyone
The top image has redo with your suggestions
Let me know
thanks
Steve

@Steve_Rosendahl Steve, I think that orange was actually part of the praying mantis’ eye. It seems misshapen now. I wonder if it would have worked to try to turn that bit the same golden color of the other eye. I think it was reflecting something really red. I love the gold color of the other eye.

@Ed_Williams
Took a stab at it

1 Like

Your second repost is looking really good, Matt.

Yep that got it Steve.

Steve: These can be fearsome predators. I saw an image once where one took down a hummingbird! Nice work on the reposts. Great find and a fine capture. >=))>

Thanks, everyone
All your thoughts made a much better image.
Steve

Oh yes, the second redo did the job. Excellent. I added “+ Redo 2” to the title so others will know that you made some changes.

1 Like

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman for your input
Also thanks for adding the + Redo 2
I just did a redo on my latest hummingbird and added the redo to the title, great idea.

1 Like