Prelude

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve only been to White Sands once and it was still a National Monument. We arrived in the mid afternoon so just drove through the park sizing up the place. There was a short boardwalk trail that Chrissy and I explored and I came across this scene. It was the first keeper shot of the trip and remains one of my favorites.

Specific Feedback

I toyed with the idea of making the beetle tracks go away but decided to leave them for some added interest.

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400 f4.5-5.6 G @ 210mm, CPL
ISO 200, 1/320 @ f9

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Totally understandable, Bill. Amazing to see such “white” sand. Obviously a big draw to the region overall. Your diagonal view and angle casting shadows works perfectly on this scene. And yes the beetle tracks are a real plus IMO for the general trekking interests there.
btw: my last weeks trip to J-tree resulted in some NASTY ant bites. I was too tuned into photographing some barrel cactus and missed the attack until too late. I’m not saying they were the same ants from the movie THEM, but they had an agenda to take me out of the picture, so to speak… :skull_and_crossbones:

Love the beetle tracks, Bill, they not only add interest but great textures. The diagonal shadows of the sand and the plant have great textures and energy. Great shot!

Beautiful image, Bill. Love the way the shadows in the dunes intertwine with the shadows of the bush. Well seen and photographed!

Bill, the long, angled shadow and how it contrasts with the textures in the sand make a great view. I’m loving the beetle tracks criss crossing the frame.

Excellent shapes, shadows, and textures. The shadows are wonderful. Welcome composed.

Like you and all the other commentators, I enjoy this for a lot of reasons. Absent your commentary, the beetle tracks are an “Easter egg” to be found only by viewers who take their time with this image. The bright top of the image has a surprisingly positive effect for me: it says “sure there is a lot beyond this scene, but the detail is sorta blown out, so keep your attention in the scene below.” The crossed sets of diagonal lines are mesmerizing.