Queen Me! & Repost

I was riding my bike yesterday and right along the road there were Queen Anne’s Lace and other flowers starting to come out. I stopped as cars raced past me at 60+ mph and got lost for a few minutes in my little world of flowers and insects. Just as I was putting everything away and jumping back on my bike I saw this beautiful tiger beetle land on a young Queen Anne’s Lace flower so hurried and got my short lens on my camera and was able to get a few shots before s/he flew away!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
55mm
1/640
f/8
ISO 200
Cropped and slightly adjusted exposure, sharpened, details,

apani.hill

Great capture, Vanessa. Wonderful detail in the beetle and the OOF background sets him off very nicely. Also like how the soft green/yellow background colors are reflected in the bug. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Vanessa, good catch. Glad yo spotted this guy before you rode off on your bike. I like the different shades of light greens in the image, complimenting the bug (it reminds me of what we call Cucumber Bugs here in NC). I am wondering, if you were to crop just a little from the left and bottom (getting rid of the oof portion of the flower), if that would improve the image some. It feels like he is a bit close to the top edge (so if you have some more space there, you might add that back), and cropping might make that not feel so tight too. Just a thought.

1 Like

Thank you @linda_mellor and @Shirley_Freeman for your comments and feedback! I’m glad you like my little friend! It probably is what you call a cucumber bug! Here’s a different crop, is this what you had in mind?…

2 Likes

I think that improved it. It is more about the bug now. I especially like the extra room at the top, giving him room to move.

1 Like

Yes the re-work is darn good. I love the pose and the extra space. I’ve never seen a bug like this and you’ve caught such great detail. One of the best images I’ve seen from you, Vanessa. Fab!

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, you don’t know how many different crops I did before I actually made the first post! For some reason I was thinking I needed to keep the whole flower, I didn’t really know what to do with it! But I really like this better too, thanks for your help as always!

1 Like

Thanks @_Kris glad you like it!

Nice capture Vanessa, as well as great color. I have not seen one of those.

1 Like

Thanks @Dean_Salman! Wow! I’m so surprised that it seems like a new bug for so many! I keep seeing these and variations of them here!