Rain clouds clearing at Emerald Lake

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I haven’t posted in a while, experiencing kind a dry spell over the summer. I tried to remedy that by a trip to the Canadian Rockies. It was like being a kid in a candy store. This particular day, it was rainy and I thought I wouldn’t get a single shot, but after a couple of hours, the clouds lifted and the rain finally stopped. I felt that the few sprinkles in the lake didn’t detract from the shot.

Specific Feedback

The fog on the mountain in the upper left was denser than I would have liked

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Sigma 24-105 @ 38 mm f/11, 1/500 iso 640 . Processed in LR, Ps and Topaz Denoise

1 Like

Richard: I know what you mean about the Canadian Rockies! Our last trip there was in 2016 and I long to go back. Your image really increased that desire. My one visit to Emerald Lake was interesting but your conditions are marvelous. Top notch image. >=))>

Hi Richard. Beautiful shot. Ive seen a number of pictures of that cabin/cottage but usually not from this angle. Its one of those places like Arches that i imagine are swarmed with photographers. Nice to see a different perspective. I dont think that fog in the upper left is too distracting the big peak in the back is definitely the focus of the background. I like the transition of color in the water and how you can see the raindrops after you look for a bit. On the critique side i can see why you included the rocks for foreground but the stick is a little distracting, i dont know if cropping it out would remove foreground interest by taking out the rocks?

@Bill_Fach thanks for the kind words.
@Cameron_Wilcox Thanks for your critique. I wondered about that stick. I might try the remove tool or contextual task bar in Ps to see if those would give a good result

1 Like

Richard, Nice shot and really nice mood with the misty mountains in the BG. I’m not sure I agree the stick detracts from the image here. It helps offset the structure of the lodge and bridge with a natural element, and the rocks are a nice touch too. Fog in the BG is not a problem either. I can’t wait to get back to the Canadian Rockies this coming June.

@Ed_Williams thank you