Rear curtain sync

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others
learn)
D3400, ISO 100, f/9, exposure 20 sec, 35mm … Long exposure with rear curtain sync flash and two fans on flowers for movement and a polarized filter.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Michael: I like your concept and execution and the capture of the flowers is excellent. My only suggestion -which has nothing to do with the rendering of the subject - would be to make the dark empty spaces just below your signature go away. >=))>

thanks Bill, yes I knew that and just got lazy … dropped the ball on the one yard line LOL

This is one of those images I can’t leave alone. I close it and walk away, then I come back. Then I close it and walk away and come back. That’s a pretty sure sign that it’s compelling, isn’t it! :smile: I’ve never been a particular fan of rear curtain synch, though you might have converted me. I’m a little distracted by the background, but I don’t know of a reasonable way to change it. But I suspect a more uniform background might further call attention to the flower movement, which could be a very good thing. Thanks for making me think and study!

:+1::+1:

thanks Hank, This was just one of my crazy ideas that seems to have worked. I was a slave to the environment and my wife that would have not been happy if I would have set up in the living room where I would have had more control of background :blush: now that I know how to set it up I can wait till she is not home or use a background that is far enough away to create a blur with the aperture that is needed for a slow sync, maybe stacking more than one dark filter so I can lower f number “I don’t know” probably just put a solid color behind it is the answer but I do like that country look.

Very cool, Michael. I really like the rich tones you ended up with and the blur seems to be just right. The background doesn’t bother me a bit. Nice work.

Thanks Dennis, its you that got me thinking about rear sync with the B&W Mustang car with blur you commented on and mentioned rear curtain sync. I seem to be obsessed lately with blur LOL till the next obsession comes along. :sunglasses:

One of our favored stunts in commercial shooting was to merely shade the background. Looking at the shadows of the railing/deck in the background, I have to guess that was all that would have been needed. We had some big (4’x6’ and 8’x8’) pop-open frames for fabric reflectors that also worked as well for scrims when shadows were needed. You could do much the same hanging a sheet (for diffuse light) or blanket as a light block.

cool … thanks

Very effectively composed, Michael - that angle of the table and its brightness against the darks of the grass sets off the vase and flowers in a very interesting way. Might like to see just a touch more room around the flowers at the top - but no big deal.

Interesting method and image. Result is interesting. A couple of thoughts. It is very tight in the frame, especially right to left. I would have composed to allow more room.

I’m not sure why Rear Curtain sync on this image is an important part. The only difference it this image that would have been visible using Front Curtain Sync would have been the location of the blur which in this image is not critical. Rear Curtain is really important when there is a clear directional motion of the subject and the flash needs to fire at the end of the exposure rather than the beginning. I’m a little confused by why this seemed to be important (enough so to title the image mentioning the technique).

thanks Keith, I am new here and I guess I misunderstood the field that says “discussion topic or Title” It was just a experiment and wanted some feedback on results.

Thanks again
Mike