Red Fox Running in the snow

There are a few moments in photography that will be memorable forever. This experience was one for me. While in Yellowstone for 2 week in February, we had some great opportunities for landscapes, animals and of course just enjoying this incredible national park. For some reason, getting to see a Red Fox was very tough this year. No one really knew the reason for the dramatic difference this year versus prior years. We finally saw this one and waited patiently for about an hour as it wandered around an eventually came close enough for photography. This is one of of a series of well over a hundred that I took in a matter of a minute or so. I chose this one as I liked the pose, the minimal shadows on the snow and the snowy landscape.

If you’d like to see 10 images that I narrowed down as my favorites, FOLLOW THIS LINK.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus EM1-X
300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/2500, f/7.1, ISO 400
Handheld

@keithcbauer
6 Likes

They are all terrific, but I see why you chose this one. The paws are fantastic - furrily filled in for fleet footedness over snow. Ran out of alliteration there. LOL. Really great exposure and details. I love the various colors in the fur as well. Well done.

Yes Keith, I think we can all relate to this comment. Some good ones and some not so good. But still unforgettable in the end… :thinking:
I have to say, this outing would be a unforgettable moment or time lapse for me as well. This is truly a stunning image, however, looking at your 10 best series leaves me undecided on which is the best of the best. And, that would be a really good thing in my book… :+1: :+1:
A wonderful experience you had out there and the group of photos really does help share that adventure with us also… :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks Paul. Yes, that’s a good problem to have to deal with :grinning:

1 Like

Great subject and wonderful pose! All white BG works so well here.
I just love the series, also adore the couple of poses, where all feet are off the ground!

Keith, I’m so glad you were able to experience this, and to haul home a number of great images as well. I really like this shot the best too.

It was a tough winter for fox sightings. I’m glad your patience paid off here. And of the series, I think this was the best choice. Though it’s nice to see the poofy tail in the other photos, I like the angle here, the paw pose, and the subtle shadow against that clean snow (something that was also not easy to find).

Terrific capture of this fox. There is no wildlife shot quite so beautiful as a red fox in snow, in my opinion. Though I’ve captured many fox photos, we rarely get enough snow here to capture them on a snowy day. Well done. The Editor’s Pick is well-deserved.

1 Like

What a gorgeous shot!! Your patience was well-rewarded. I’d also give this the #1 slot for the graceful paws and the subtle shadow.

Stunning image, Keith. Congratulations!

1 Like

Beautiful, Keith. Congrats!

Congratulations, Keith. What a remarkable image. I can’t imagine how over the moon you must have been to have not only seen this but to have captured a whole series of it. Now the culling begins! Anyway, I just wanted to say congratulations for your win.

@David_Haynes - Yes, I was very excited about this chance encounter and knew that I had something special as soon as the action was over. That doesn’t happen all that often. Thanks for your kind words.

1 Like