Red Hot Poker & Friend

The nectar must be in there somewhere?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-100, 100-400 and 400 mm, F7 .1, 2000th, handheld, no flash, 13% of full frame, A7r4, minimum processing, no added sharpening

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nice shot. I like the flowers panning out from the top. This is just my personal opinion and a small nit, but I feel that when photographing any kind of wildlife it is best to have the head visible.

David, it looks like he is play “peak a boo” with you. I also like the fanning of the flowers. Nice details in the bee and the flower. I agree that normally we would like the head in view, but some how he fits with the flowers in his position, like he trying to camouflage himself with his environment.

David, Excellent well composed image with nice detail, especially on the bee. You get points for attracting bees to your garden as well. I understand about the head, but am not bothered by it not being visible. The guy is eating.

Thanks for comments. We have a bush of these Red Hot Pokers with at least 20 blooms and they are covered in bees. I watched them for about 10 minutes before I took any shots and found all of them were crawling under the flowers to feed. While I had plenty of images showing the heads, this one was more true of their behavior.

1 Like

David: Really nicely composed and superbly captured. I like that the bee is into the flower and the detail and sharpness of the bee and the poker parts. :+1: :+1:>=))>

David, this is called really getting into your food… The flower parts look great and there’s a nice color change across the frame. Having the bee’s head hidden adds a lot to telling the story about it’s search for food.