Reflections

During the hike to the planned photo location, we came across this small lake with intense autumn foliage reflections. I like the black/bluish tentacles going into the water. To smooth the reflections, I used an ND filter for a longer shutter speed.
Olympus EM-1x, 2 sec, f/16 ISO 64, 73 mm

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

3 Likes

Ola - Thank you for sharing a little of Sweden with us! This is a pretty cool abstract image and almost reflects the colors of your flag! Since it’s more abstract in nature, I think you could push the image a little further. I played around a little with it in Lightroom. I added a gradient from the top to the middle to darken a little and add more blue. I also added another gradient from the bottom up to lighten the water. I cloned out a couple of things I thought were distracting in the water but that’s it. Hope you have fun playing with your images!

I like this a lot, Ola. Initially it looked like an ICM on the bottom merged with the branches at the top. I like the idea of cloning out that white but in the reflection, but otherwise agree that this is well seen and well captured.
ML

I really love the “tentacles” because they are a bit scary and mysterious, Ola. And it is an unusual image, which is great.

I wonder if you have any captures from a couple inches left or right because the bottom tip of the central “tentacle” gets a bit lost in the dark green reflection, unfortunately. Or maybe you could attempt to bring up the luminosity of that color. Just a suggestion.

1 Like

Oh, gorgeous! The “tentacles” are very cool, and lend a mysterious air to the otherwise cheery yellows of the fall foliage. The really blue stems on the left and right catch my eye, and feel a bit odd because the rest of the branches aren’t so blue. I agree with Brie that the yellows could be a bit brighter, but that’s a matter of taste. I took a crack at evening out the blue tone of the tentacles and brightening the yellows (also brightened that dark bit around the middle tentacle reflection. Perhaps not your vision, but I thought I’d put it out there for discussion.

@Brie_Stockwell, @Marylynne_Diggs, @Matt_Lancaster and @Bonnie_Lampley, thank you very much for your kind words. I will play around with the image testing out your suggestions.! Best Regards, Ola