Regrowth

Hey everyone,

These small green leaves caught my eye when hiking today, that green glowing against that broken trunk made me grab my gear without even blinking.

As always any feedback is very welcome .

Cheers

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I think there are a couple of small artifacts from the stacking but do you think they are visible?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

The composition mainly, my framing was made to grab that line from the broken trunk leading to the plant, also creating so lame contrast and balance between the upper and lower part of the image.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

It’s a two image focus stack to gain a bit of DOF as I was shooting at 400mm and it was a bit to shallow for me. Shot at f/13, 1/4s and ISO 160, polarized.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

A nice balance of color, shape and texture provided in this image, Joao. I agree, that the line of broken trunk leads the eye nicely to the green little plant. I am amazed when I see things like this in nature, how a little seed can sprout up in rocks, wood, and other very hard surfaces. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman.
I love this small scenes, its amazing that some “worlds” can be found on such small things.

1 Like

Joao: A marvelous find and a very pleasing comp and capture. The stack looks good to me and I like that you used a polarizer to eliminate any reflectivity on the wood and leaves. Top notch shot. >=))>

1 Like

Thank you so much @Bill_Fach. :wink:
There’s wasn’t a lot of reflective spot on the scene but I like the soft almost velvety look that polarization gives on wood.
Cheers

João, This is a fine view. The small plant growing in the midst of the decaying wood looks great. I like your placement of it and that “ledge” of wood in front. I don’t see any clear stacking artifacts at these sizes.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Mark_Seaver.

Two pairs of perfect complements - decay and birth, and green and red - make this enjoyable to me. Your composition works nicely.
I know you wished to present the same contrast and upper and lower, but I found the out-of-focus detail in the upper area to be distracting from the main composition. In the attachment, I burned the OOF areas to de-emphasize them. Also wondered if they could also be forced more OOF (attachment 2)

1 Like

Hi @Dick_Knudson thanks so much for.the feedback.
Indeed the first version you upload adds a more subtle background, I did some burning my self but it’s look I stopped a bit early ;).
The second version has given me an idea for an alternative background PP. I like the the sharpen background of the first version (even being so subtle of a difference) but it may be interesting to lower the micro contrast on the background and create a illusion of softness, something to try tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Cheers

So finally i repalced my PC monitor and had time to redo some thing on this image.

I corrected some saturation (my old monitor was a bit off) and aplied some redution on contrast on the background.

The change is subtle but hope you guys like it.
Cheers