River Pilings at Dawn

Shot this the other morning right before the sun made it above the trees. This is a large crop from the original scene.

Any and all comments, suggestions, and critiques are always appreciated.

Nikon D810 w/ Nikkor 80-400 @ 300 mm
4 seconds @ f/11
100 ISO
Tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Bill: Nice conversion and a peaceful scene. I like that there is some movement in the water so that the reflection is a bit blurred. The only thing that catches my eye is the relatively bright tree trunk reflection. It doesn’t feel like it should be that bright. Still a very pleasing result. >=))>

I like this, Bill. The pilings add an interesting dimension. I would like to suggest that you burn down the tree trunk on the shore, and darken the brighter parts of the reflection just a bit. I like the curves of the sedges and the slight blur of the reflection. Nicely done
-P

Bill,
The four second exposure did a lovely job of slightly blurring the reflection in the water as it gives it an impressionistic feel. Your crop works very well and I like the range of tones in the scene. I too would slightly burn down the tree along with the pilings. An easy fix for this tranquil image.

This is one of those images that didn’t grab me at the smaller sizes, but when opened large I really like it. Print this one big!

Thumbnail does not do this justice as it opens up nicely in the larger version. The long exposure has given this image a wonderful dreamy look. Processing looks good - I like the high key treatment. I would agree with Preston on burning down the bright tree trunk and its reflection. I find it competes with the pilings.

Bill,

This is all about the wonderful reflection. The old pilings are a sold anchor to the scene. I think I might turn down the brightness on them - and even more so the tree trunk as others have mentioned.

I know this is a large crop, but the beauty here is in the reeds/cattails and the beautiful reflection. I’m a little torn about the top, especially the darker area in the UR. But the top is certainly necessary for the comp.

As others have mentioned, the large view opens up beautifully.

Lon

I’m not sure how I feel about this one. The only suggestion I feel confident about is that diagonal reflection which I find distracting. I would fill it with content aware (or perhaps darken it considerably).

Bill, this looks great in the large view. (It seems crunchy and it’s hard to separate the pilings from the grasses in the standard view, but those issues disappear in the large view.) I agree about burning down the tree trunk’s reflection.

The large view of this is excellent, Bill. To me, this image is about the sedges. The pilings and there reflection are important and there placement looks perfect to my eye. If it were mine, I would probably clone the diagonal tree and it’s reflection. Very nice b/w.