"Rolled pebble"

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Do this talk with you?
Do you give this a second look?
Do you feel like lookin behind the Pebble?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Nikon D800
Tamron 24-70

3 Likes

Olá João,

I really like the minimal look on this image, the contract of tones and texture between the “pebble” and the back rock really is interesting.
The small orange grain ( sand maybe?) on the water are a detail that add a dash of colour and details too.

I would and I did look at it twice and I wouldn’t want to see behind the pebble because I like the image just as it is. :wink:
The only thing I would change would be be burn those (see below ) round brighter areas, they stand out and steal the attention a bit.

Very interesting image IMO.
Cheers

I immediately thought of a dinosaur egg. The texture and color of this image is terrific as is the crag that goes right through the pebble. I agree with @João_Ferrão about burning those two spots and I’d add a third. It’s the very small white spot right on the right edge of the frame about 1/4 down from the top. Beautiful image, Joao!

Thank you for both your comments @João_Ferrão and @David_Haynes .
You are absolutly right on.
I just print an A2 with those bright spots burned and the third one cloned and looks very nice.

1 Like
  1. Somewhat. But the message is not very strong. I’m not sure how I feel about it.
  2. Definitely yes. I’m trying to understand on some level.
  3. No. Although at times I feel it’s suspended over the background.

I think you deserve a lot of credit for looking for something beyond the obvious. And for not caring enough about approval to strike out on your own. Personally, the image doesn’t work for me but there are aspects I like about it. I like the simplicity. I also like the contrast between smooth and rough textures.

Thank you very much for your reply Igor.
I really appreciated.