Rough-legged Hawk

This marsh area has become very popular for all sorts of predatory birds and especially SE’d Owls. Unfortunately an area that would only attract a few photographers now has 10 or more photographers wandering around in the marsh area trying for that one of a kind flight shot. I took this photo at bottom of dike and on edge of marsh. Just to my left and not included in frame are three other photographers closing in on the hawk from the marsh side. It quickly popped off. I have been in touch with both the city and province to get some restrictions in place on the photographers. It is also duck/goose hunting season so hunters are passing through the marsh to get to water edge.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
R5, 500mm + 1.4 Ext., f/5.6, 1/200, ISO 3200, Tripod, Cropped to 82% Some plants have been toned down or removed. LR, Topaz Denoise AI, PS

1 Like

I’m really enjoying the brownish tones in these images from the marsh area. Superb contrast between the hawk and its environment.

Another beautiful Rough-legged Hawk image, David. We have similar issues where SEOs hang out in the winter, though most of the photographers stay at the edge of the road.

This is a nice image, that little branch could be cloned easy at that size if you wanted…

David, a very nice image. I am not a bird photographer but I really like how you have included the surroundings still having the hawk as the main actor. Also the color scheme is pleasing.