Rough-legged Hawk

The same Rough-legged Hawk I posted an image of a couple of weeks ago. After leaving the piling it was perched on in that image, it landed on this big root wad on the far side of the tidal channel. This was the closest available vantage point and this is still a fair crop.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I cloned or painted over some bright out of focus buildings and other objects in the background-how does it look now? I decided to leave the smoke from a slash pile burning to the right as I kind of liked the effect and it looked rather difficult to remove anyhow.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How’s the composition? I accented the texture in the root wad because it was so cool looking, but I didn’t increase saturation because I thought it would start competing with the hawk too much and I wanted to keep it as a secondary point of interest.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/800, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 13 MP. Taken January 11th at 10:19 am.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Terrific environmental image in subdued light. I like the composition.

A nice look at the hawk and I agree it’s an interesting perch. One thought would be to crop to the right of the hawk to remove the smoke and some of the brush.