Rough-legged Hawk

From yesterday in the fresh snow. I had been taking some other photos of this hawk on a different junk of driftwood when it up and took off. Out of sight for a moment or two it then landed here. I had relocated and it was eating something. You can barely see a bit of bright red on the layer below the hawk. Unfortunately there was a causeway full of trains in the bg and several branches poking up. The cloud in the bg covers the colorful train cars. I left some of the branches to fill the space.
I really had a hard time processing this one. I like the light tone look and that is where I went.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the cloud in bg work? Could be a hill or a snow bank. Light tone ok? Any tell tails from the cloning?
Anything else.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
R5, 500mm + 2.0 Ext. , f/8, 1/400, ISO1600, Cropped to 56% of original.
That is one of the things I really like about mirrorless. You can put a 2.0 ext. on and it focuses. No micro adjustment required.

3 Likes

Hi David, I really like this! The cloud gives me the feeling like I just made it to the top of the summit on a hike and am rewarded with a stunning bird sighting, in addition to the view! Love all the snow coming down around the bird. Beautiful colors.

1 Like

The cloud works very well, with this image, David, and I don’t see any artifacts. I also like the light tones, but I do think the bird could use a bit of enhancement to the feather structure to make it pop a bit more, particularly the head.

Another vote for the cloud. I can understand how you could have a difficult time processing this. So much bright light and light tones. Good job.

Wonderful! I think you could go for a little more blacks in the bird and more detail in the snow, but that would be icing on the cake.

The cloud and branches work well for me.

Excellent snow image. When looked at large, the contrast is less of an issue but you could increase it or at least increase the blacks a tad to bring out some of the plumage detail. A nice composition.

This is such an arresting image that I had a go for a few minutes. For what it’s worth. I hope you don’t mind. Ps Camera Raw filter for contrast & texture. Also adjusted the blues channel for a bit more saturation. Content Aware Fill & some spot healing brush for that bunch of branches.

The falling snow is so wonderful - I think the blue adjustment brought it out, but kept the overall soft feel of the image. Truly a lovely portrait.

1 Like

Looks great Kristen. Thanks. I had thought of the various comments and going back to get a bit more concentration on the hawk. I really like what you have done The way the hawk is posed is almost more cat like than hawk like.
I knew when i took this photo what a crappy bg it was. There is a long causeway leading to a container terminal and coal port. The fabricated cloud bank covers a colorful bunch of rail cars.

Thanks for taking the time.

1 Like