Ruby-throated hummingbird + Repost

Repost:

Raised shadows overall and increased saturation on the red throat.

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The ruby throats are back in Tennessee so I put my flash set up to try to get some shots. The bird(s) was very quick at the flower so this is the only decent shot I got. Attracted by sugar water. Flower is scarlet honeysuckle.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts on bird’s pose and wing position? Anything else?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, five speedlites @1/8 power, tripod
ISO 200, f20, 1/250s

2 Likes

I really like it. Did you see if it could’ve had its head/neck tweaked slightly with photoshop’s dodge tool/mid-tones? Their iridescent feathers can change so much I think it would still maintain a believable look. Anyway, very cool shot of these interesting subjects.

1 Like

Masterful work, Allen. When I saw 1/250s, I nearly fell off my chair… then I saw 5 speedlites. Great shot!

1 Like

Agree with everyone else as to composition, etc. I have a garden just about to bloom with a variety of flowers, feeders and nests for hummers. I hoe I can get a shot like this one. I might just have to have a go with the speedlight.

1 Like

I like the way you framed this, Allen. It makes for a good diagonal composition. Wing position on the hummingbird works very well, and you caught some nice eye contact. I think I agree with Dave that you could bring up the shadows and midtones on the hummingbird a bit-it looks pretty dull compared to the flowers.

1 Like

Totally agree about the diagonal composition others have mentioned, Allen. However, what caught my attention immediately is the beautiful colors and how the soft background makes this little fellow pop! Very nicely done.

1 Like

@Dave_Douglass @Saundie @Chris_Calohan @Dennis_Plank @linda_mellor
Thank you for the comments and suggestions! Repost up above… Any thoughts?

1 Like

Great composition and good job on the repost. A lovely shot.

1 Like

That helped a lot, Allen. Nice work.

1 Like

Repost looks good. Glad to see you back at the hummingbird photography. The color of the gorget is more apparent in the repost…Jim

1 Like

The repost looks great Allen. It definitely has more pop to it. Nice composition, flowers, great detail and really nice BG. Can’t improve much beyond this one.

1 Like

Excellent job on the repost. The colors really pop and the image is quite sharp. Ilke the composition

1 Like