Rudy

This Keel-billed Toucan was the star of the main feeder station at Laguna de Lagarta in Costa Rica. He’d come into the perch and go through a series of poses like a fashion model, hop to the other side of the banana clump and go through it all again, sometimes repeating multiple times before he finally decided to get something to eat. Here are three of my favorite pose/background/lighting combinations.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount. All images at f/9 (wide open for this combination). Modest crops as you could get him to just about fill the frame from the dining area/observation deck.

2 Likes

Love the series, Dennis. Especially the second one. The way he seems to be keeping an eye on you. Making sure you are watching and getting plenty of shots. Great captures and nicely done.

Oh wow, Dennis, these are spectacular. I know that must have been really fun watching as well as photographing. I’m so glad you had the experience. He is a real beauty. From the shots and what you said, he must have known how beautiful he was and showed off for you. Excellent! :+1: :+1:

This rascal should be on their oayroll, just awesome colors The black background on the third is the winner. Hard to believe the beak is not hand painted.

All interesting poses. Spectacular colors and fine detail. Probably the second is my favorite.

Amazing species and what a thrill that it was so nicely pouring for the photographer . Good bird ! I like all three images, but with a gun to my head? #3 :slight_smile: ! Cheers,

Wow, these look nearly artificial in their garish color and shape. Cartoon birds for sure. The third shot is such a standout beauty that it seems too good to be true. Great job with catching the personality and the stunning looks.

I like the second one–rich colors, and more of the environment with epiphytic bromeliad enhance the goodness of the photo. An amazing bird and am glad to see that you were able to get some excellent photos of this guy…Jim

Now you’re talking, Jim! Is that what that is? I recently bought a field guide for mosses that a includes liverworts and hornworts. I love plant oddballs. Have never been in a tropical forest, but I bet the place is dirty with them. Isn’t “Spanish Moss” a epiphytic bromeliad? I like to say it’s like Petite Syrah - which is to say it’s neither Spanish nor moss, lol.

Hi Dennis
There are just too many places to photograph great birds like this Toucan. Thank you for bring us this experience.
I can’t help myself, was he singing " I am kobo for Cocoa Puffs". Great photos.
Peter

What a beautiful bird. Fruit Loops! Wonderful series, Dennis.