Sad Ice

The runoff control pond next door had skins of ice several times last winter. These formed while the pond was draining, so there was a mix of ice separated from the water below and in contact with the water. The parts that were separated stood out quite strongly. Since it was above freezing when I took this, the faces feels a bit sad, since it’s melting… (5D3, 180 mm macro, 1/8 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod) There were a number of formations like this, where the initial “line(s)” of ice came from vegetation sticking out of the water (just out of the frame in the lower right corner).

2 Likes

A very good and unusual ice abstract. The color scheme really matches the title! Only a minor comment, maybe the color of the uppermost part could be adjusted slightly to even better match the color of the lower left part. So many great images from your pond!

At first I thought this was an arial photo of a river delta or something! It’s definitely an intriguing, geometric photo. No real suggestions for improvement, except maybe to try full B&W - but then maybe the contrast of brown and lighter ice would be lost. Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

Nicely seen, Mark. Love the organic formations found on ponds and standing water. For me at least, this one is quite ghoulish.

Mark, like @Matthew_Chatham, when I first viewed this in the thumbnail, I thought I was looking at an aerial photo. Great WC image, I see the sad face very clearly.