Sanderling Portrait and re-post

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon R5; 700 mm with 1.4 extender; 1/1000 at f10, +1EV; ISO 3200

3 Likes

What a wonderfully sweet portrait of this little fellow, Allen. I like how you have placed him a bit off center.

1 Like

Perfect placement in the frame. Wonderful head angle and that background is to die for. What a gorgeous shot!!! Just wondering if this was cropped significantly as there is a lack of detail when seen large. Could also be compression from the website.

A wonderful portrait of this guy, Allen. Very nice.

1 Like

Lovely portrait! Pixel peeping shows the larger version seems to be a little unexpected in terms of noise reduction or sharpening?? ISO 3200 should clean up pretty well.

1 Like

Thanks @linda_mellor, @Shirley_Freeman , @Diane_Miller , and @David_Haynes for your comments. This was a huge crop, probably greater than 90% of the frame. I liked how the breast seemed to blend in a bit with the background. I agree the highest magnification doesn’t look that great, but what’s strange is that in PS I can blow this up to 400% and it looks better than here. It’s probably something I’m doing when I convert the tiff to jpeg. Need to figure it out. Thanks again for your input.

1 Like

I’d guess it might be some additional sharpening something is doing to try to help you! I hate it when software does that!

I think I up-sized the image dimensions (if that is the correct words) and here is the original without up-sizing. We’ll see if it’s any better.

I think it is.

Wow, what a great bird portrait! Like it a lot. Nothing to improve, IMO.

1 Like

Allen, the repost doesn’t magnify the image as large as the original, so kind of hard for me to tell. Still a great image.

1 Like

Hi Allen. The original looks a bit more detailed than the repost to my eye. A very nice portrait with good detail for the crop.

1 Like

Hello, Allen, nice portrait of a lovely species. I do like the overall color tone of the image. I am not sure about the focus point though, but cannot really tell. That said, I like the image and especially your choice of composition. Cheers, Hans

1 Like