Scape.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I shoot this colorful sunrise . Used icm. I am new to this technique.

Specific Feedback

First i wanted to crop the top and bottom but i didnot. It works well for me this way. It is more centered . Do You agree??

Technical Details

F 2.8 -105mm- icm- cp -4 SEC - iso 100

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Ulbe, this is a nice soft icm image with lovely colors. I like it as it is.

Regarding the horizon in the center, it doesn’t bother me that much. I tried a version with a slight crop from the bottom, and like it a little bit better. But that is personal taste. If it works for you, then that’s what you should stick to.
My crop, for comparison:

Groet!
Gerard

Thank you so much for the feed-back and appreciation. I like your crop too, there is more tension.

1 Like

What a lovely image!! The ICM gives it a wonderful soft feeling that fits so well with the soft early light. I think the crop is good as is – the visual weight is centered slightly below the middle of the frame, which has an elegance about it. I wondered about darkening the bottom a bit with a subtle gradient, but it was difficult to paint it in so it didn’t darken the existing gradient in the LL corner too much. Just an idea:

I like it as is. centered basically. Very nice.

Ulbe,
This is quite a lovely ICM and the pastel colors are flat out gorgeous. The centered composition works very nicely. I am going to throw out a third suggestion for you; not necessarily better; just another option. I hope you do not mind, but here is a repost with a little crop from the top. This is beautifully done.

Ulbe, this is a very serene ocean sunrise. The bands of horizontal color are soothing and their colors nicely restful. Having the horizon centered fits well with the soothing feeling.

Thanks a lot for your feed-back.