Sea Oats at Sunrise

The conditions looked promising for some fog around sunrise so Mike and I decided to make the one hour drive down to Bombay Hook NWR, DE. I had intended to stop and walk the boardwalk trail overlooking the salt marsh, but we missed it as it was still pretty dark. We settled on another area along the road and I came away with this image. i probably could have used a little more DOF, but I think it fits in OK with the soft mood and the fog. As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 100mm, f 16 @ 1/15 sec, ISO 200, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Great mood here Ed. The soft diffused light looks great!

This may be personal preference but I’d go for a 4:5 ratio image and clip a bit off the bottom.

The processing and colours look good to me

This is a real nice, peaceful and relaxing image, Ed. I would be inclined to clone out the long horizontal cloud/contrail, but not a huge deal either way.

This is a really lovely image Ed. It has such a soft, peaceful feeling to it. i love the muted light from the sun through the fog. The somewhat high key, and low contrast processing works very well for this subject. While i like this a lot as presented, if I had any suggestion to offer, it would be to ask for a little more breathing room on the left, the cattail sticking in the air near the left frame edge could use a little more space to the left of it IMO. Bu that is a minor nit, overall this is a lovely image.

Ed, the peaceful, seaside mood is great. For me, the grasses are the major attraction so I think a 4x5 crop with less sky could be a good alternative.

Lovely soft light on the cat tails Ed. I agree with Mark on a possible crop. I love the peace mood your image evokes,

My type of image. Thanks for sharing. Agree on the crop.

Simple image but very very evocative. I am with Harley about that contrail on top, Ed. Very lovely pastel color, too!

I think this is just tremendous. Not sure what you’re referring to in regard to DOF. That the most distant flora may be a bit OOF actually helps guide the viewer to the foreground and I don’t think it detracts at all. The stillness of the grasses suggests no wind and at 1/15, I suspect the conditions were pretty calm. The sun in the upper left contrasts nicely with the predominance of clumped grasses in lower right. While I agree with @Nathan_Klein on a 4:5 crop, I would take it from the sky rather than the bottom of the image. Having a little openness in the bottom gives me somewhere to stand and take in this peaceful scene. Very beautiful…and inviting. Meditative. Tremendous.

What a beautiful scene, Ed. Love the mood you portray here.

Fantastic, moody image. The diffused sun and the rim lighting around the cat tails? make this image first rate. Hope you don’t mind, I tightened it up a little with bsome crops.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Beautiful, contemplative image, Ed. The delicate light and subtle tones work wonderfully. Put me down also for cropping some of the top. I think getting away from a 50/50 split and placing more emphasis on the grasses strengthens the composition.

Many thanks everyone @Nathan_Klein, @Harley_Goldman, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver, @Eva_McDermott, @Ralph_Yakaboski, @Adhika_Lie, @Jim_McGovern, @Shirley_Freeman, @Michael_Lowe and @Dave_Dillemuth for your thoughts; always appreciated.
@Ed_McGuirk: Funny that you mention a little more room on the left edge. I already added a bit of canvas and after looking at it I thought I should have added a bit more.
@Michael_Lowe: Thanks for taking the time to do a rework; it looks good. I think your crop addresses what many others have suggested.

1 Like