Seaweed Abstract

I was intrigued by the shapes and colors of this patch of seaweed at Acadia National Park in Maine. At low tide, large areas of seaweed get exposed and make for some interesting abstract subjects. I especially liked the round nodules. To me there is no center of interest here, but are the shapes and colors strong enough to carry the image for you ?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I like this, Ed. A very nice abstract. Nice mix of colors and shapes. Good eye to see this. Sometimes we can miss a nice shot like this looking for something else in particular that we hope to shoot on our outing.

Very Nice. There are shapes of color that create a composition and enough detail and difference between things to engage the eye. It causes visual wondering around because there’s so much to see. Entertaining and attention holding for me.
TY for Post

Great abstract, Ed. Looks excellent as presented but I might play with boosting the vibrance and see how it goes. You are on a roll!!

@Shirley_Freeman @stevenm @Harley_Goldman thank you all for taking the time to comment on my image. I guess this one has more appeal than I initially thought it might. I really enjoy looking for, and doing these small scene pattern type shots, and was hoping this had enough to hold peoples interest.

Harley, when I first joined NPN, I was guilty of over-saturation in a lot of my shots, and NPN helped steer me towards a more subtle use of color. I was perhaps a little too restrained here, since color is a big part of this shot (and it is wet too). Here is a rework with boosted Vibrance.

1 Like

The repost works for me. It looks natural to my eye. That is what I generally strive for.

Ed: Great color palette and a fine comp. I enjoy exploring the array of details throughout the frame. Well seen and superbly captured.>=))>

Another quality image with a unique subject. The colors and shapes drew me in and kept my interest. Well done.

There’s lots to like here, Ed. Such a wonderful mix of variety and color, and the wet seaweed gives you pleasing saturation. It’s nice that you have a window of time, however brief, for shooting these low tide images.

Oh this is excellent, Ed. There’s a circular look to it somehow. There’s also a dreamy look to it as though from the Orton effect. That seaweed is Fucus. New England grows tons of it but I’ve never seen greater beds than at Juneau Alaska.