See what I see?

This Green Heron was caught hunting. Wondering what it was seeing ?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
I have used Topaz Sharpen - mostly on the log - I had options to either blur it more or sharpen it more - presently in the mood to try out Topaz
Top image - Log with Orton applied - aiming to draw attention to the heron

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Excellent image, Karl. The pose of the heron really carries this image and the log makes a good backdrop. My preference is for the upper image with the log a bit softer and darker so it doesn’t compete with the heron as much. If the entire log had been in sharp focus, I might go the other way. I am puzzled by the geometry here. There appears to be a substantially out of focus area immediately in front of the heron that doesn’t seem to fit with the shape of the log and the transition to the out of focus condition seems a bit abrupt.

Thanks Dennis @Dennis_Plank
Thats because I applied the orton effect only to the log - you have a good point - I have to rethink this - maybe add in a little to the area immediately below the log ?

If you meant the log imm above the beak > i applied some texture - I must not have masked correctly

The excellent detail and pose of the heron makes this image and in either version I’m drawn to the heron. Looking at the background, I’d say I would prefer the second image, which looks more natural to me. I might, though, remove the white streak behind the heron.

1 Like

Hi Kaurl
You have a great shot of this Heron’s detail, coloring and action. I like the darker log.
Peter

1 Like

That’s it, Karl. You nailed it!

1 Like

Excellent diagonals, color, detail, and composition. Superb job on the log for the postprocessing in the third image.

1 Like

What lovely feather detail and color in bird. You captured a dandy pose. I prefer the second image. The others seem a bit too dark for me and not as lively.

1 Like

Love the pose of the heron, especially the toes on the left foot hanging in the air. Bird is nice and sharp with good feather detail. Colors look good to me. I see some in-focus portions of the log that shouldn’t be there in all the versions. I think you’d be better served here by just selecting the bird in PS and sharpening it by itself. I’d then invert the selection and reduce noise in the rest of the image. I think that’s all you’d need to do, and you’d wind up with a more natural result.

1 Like