Serendipity

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Once again, listening to my gut feeling, and friends, I did an impromptu trip to my favorite place to photograph, Death Valley.
The very first day resulted in this image; this might just end up as my favorite photo that I took this year.
As I was wandering the dunes, this area caught my eye, the deep shadow area becoming the area around which I composed the photograph. Several different compositions were taken, but I ended liking this one the most. At least for now; I just got back, so who knows if a different one wins me over.
This is a focus stack of six images, no cropping, with a bit of cleanup of distracting “shimmers” on the sand.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcomed!

Technical Details

Focus stack of six, tripod, 1/250sec, f/14, 135mm, ISO 125

5 Likes

I could see why this could be a favorite, Fritz. I know if it was one of mine it would be a favorite. The large version is a real treat with all the graceful lines along with some wonderful textures and tones. I hope you hang this on the wall.

Balanced as a whole. Excellent dynamic and exciting design language. The light lower contrast of the lower part works well with the black contrast area. A bit of my attention was drawn to the softness of the border of the black area, and it could work better if it was sharp.

This is stunning, Fritz. Love the graceful lines and colors. I also notice something along the black curved line touching the gray area (off to the left a bit). Sort of looks like a spider. But clearly it can’t be that. Very curious. I only see it when I zoom way in. . . does not prevent me from looking at it again and again. Nicely seen and captured.

I love the lines in this image and also the contrast. Whenever I see dune photos, it makes me want to go find some and just try some abstract photography. The way the shadow in the upper left “bleeds” across the ripples of the sand is interesting, although not quite as “clean” as the rest of the image. Really lovely. It definitely popped off the page for me.

This is an interesting image, Fritz, I love the soft light on the bottom , and I wonder whether it would blend more with the top part if that was less dark. I find the contrast a bit too strong. I guess that the contrast was your intent, so, please, take my comment as a matter of personal choice. I would try it out just for fun though, if you have not yet explored that possibility. Great lines though. You have a good eye for abstracting sand dunes.

Fritz, this is stunning. I think I let out an audible gasp when I saw the thumbnail. What a find! I can see why it might be your favorite from the year. I would feel the same. I also think it would look amazing as a square crop without the top black area. While I really love the contrast of the darkness and the light, I find my eyes pulled into the dark and away from the convergence of those beautiful lines. I’m torn on how best to display this, but whatever way you go, you have a winner here.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment on this image; as always, much appreciated! @Ed_Lowe ,thank you, and yes, it will probably end up on the wall :slight_smile: @jorma Thank you; the shadows on the dunes do have a soft edge due to the sand texture; I will play with sharpening it though, and see how it looks. @linda_mellor Thank you, Linda, and good eye; yes there is a bush that is partway into the shadow. I was debating wether to leave it for scale, but will eventually clone it out. @karlag Thank you, and same comment as w/ Jorma. Looking forward to play with that adjustment. @MariaR Thank you, Maria. I have tried the shadow a bit lighter, but for me, and that also is just a matter of taste, the striking contrast is lost :). @Erik_Stensland Thank you Erik. Yes, that is a really nice crop as well; as above, and that is just my personal preference, the dramatic contrast is what this image is all about though.
Again, thank you everyone for your comments. This truly might end up as my favorite image this year, and no doubt will go through quite a few versions of itself before I find exactly what I’m looking for, so all the comments are not only valued, but appreciated as well. Happy holidays!

2 Likes

@J_Fritz_Rumpf I’m sure you’ll find a pleasing outcome, even if it’s leaving it as is. It is so striking.

Looking at it again, there is a really nice subtle shadow long the entire edge of the black. Maybe what makes it stand out more on the left is the level of “bleed” or the fact that it’s not quite a smooth (although natural :)) of a progression of the shadow. It darkens faster from the edge. I guess what I’m wondering is if it’s more about smoothing the shadow transition and less about sharpening? Just a thought. An inspiring image, any way you decide it’s “final”! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Fantastic, stunning image. It is interesting to read the comments and suggestions. The dark curve received a lot of attention. On enlargement, to me, anyway, there appears to be a small bare branch bush on that curve. It is echoed in the dark area. (Is that even possible in that dune area?) I like the dark area as is, but if any change is being considered, maybe crop 1/2 of it?

Amazing!
I love telephoto images of sand dunes. The black curve at the top is just great!

1 Like

Thank you, Jim. great eyes; yes there is a small bush in the dune, right in the shadow area. The dunes, and what can thrive there, never cease to amaze me. I’m debating on cloning that out, yet it is such, to me, powerful part of the story. Happy new Year!

Thank you again for your feedback, Karla :slight_smile: This is one that for now will go on the back burner, as it is always helpful to me to take a break from an image, and eventually come back to it with fresh eyes, and all the ideas presented here. I know it will end up as one of my personal favorites. Happy New Year!!

1 Like

Thank you, Kyle!