Shades of Bismark

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image is of the Bismarck Palm, with its distinctive silver-grey fronds that fan out in stately splendor, much like the broad influence of its namesake, Otto von Bismarck. The image captures the palm’s serene and noble presence, echoing the enduring legacy of the statesman it honors.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

163 mm at ISO 500 and 1⁄160sec at ƒ/8

Wonderful graphic quality to this one Saundie! The composition draws you in with the lines converging. I really like the the opposing tonal values. Lighter up top and darker at the bottom. Well done!

1 Like

Don, when I saw this image the first word that came to mind for me was “velocity.” It gives me the sensation of speeding through a tunnel. It’s a very interesting and beautiful image!

1 Like

Another superb plant abstract, Saundie. I really love the way everything leads to the center area with that strange triangle. The brighter fronds on the top feel almost like a ceiling which is interesting.

1 Like

@John_Kilgour @Dennis_Plank @Alfredo_Mora

Thanks for all the positive feedback! It’s great when light does the work for you! :+1:

Don !!! Amazing image. I would have never guessed this is a photograph of a palm tree. Do I have that right. The Lines and the Tone really are so cool and interesting. Very Very Cool.

1 Like

Thanks Gill, the fact you didnt pick it as a palm is great, means it succeeds as an abstract! :+1:

Hi Don. An interesting image for sure and quite obviously a palm. I spent many a year in the Australian tropics.

If you were open to changing editorial content I would reduce the size of the central element.
Overall an interesting study.

Thanks for the feedback, Mark. What’s obvious to some may not be obvious to all, thank goodness. I’m not fond of edits that significantly alter the image’s structure. I’ll have to accept it as it is. :+1: