Shorebird Island

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this several years ago at Bolsa Chica Preserve.

Specific Feedback

I decided to try my hand at making the surrounding water high key in processing this image.

Technical Details

Canon 60D, f16, 1/60 sec, iso 400, 100-400 lens at 158 mm. Topaz denoise and sharpen.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:
1 Like

Nice collection of shore birds in migration.

I like this a lot, Ed. It has a very painterly feel with this presentation. I think it would be interesting to add some canvas all around this image and instead of going high key with the water (as long as it’s not too ugly) do an oval selection around the island with a really large feathering out to pure white and a brown border picked up from one of the birds around the outer edge. It may not be a great idea, but it’s what I see when I look at this image.

The image also tells a good story. It’s what happens to shore birds as the tide comes in. They get crowded to smaller and smaller areas and the food is covered with water, so they just groom and sleep until the tide gives them access to their food again.

Thank you @David_Schoen.
@Dennis_Plank thank you for your ideas. I love the thought. When I get back from So. Padre Island I’ll figure out how to do that. Thanks for putting so much thought into our photography. Ed

Hi Ed, really nice collection here that makes a very intriguing image. The DOF on the birds is great - the f16 really worked for you. Really sharp for 1/60s. Unique - well seen and taken.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks, and thank you and @Dennis_Plank for the EP!

1 Like