Simplicity + Repost

Roberts geranium, growing between dead wood.
No big flower outstanding in the image, but I like the way this little one attracts the attention. Decay and new life together.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I decided to focus on the flower only, the rest of the image (even the rest of the plant) is out of focus. You may not like that. Natural background.
All remarks are welcome, of course.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Pentax K5, Sigma 2.8-4/17-17 @70mm, f5, ISO800, 1/100s, handheld.
Cropped respecting the golden ratio.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Han: A really nice find and a fine capture and comp. My only suggestion would be to crop just a little tighter so that the tree trunk completely fills the BG. I also like your DOF management. Most excellent. >=))>

Thankx @Bill_Fach, for your kind comments.

A nice find, for sure, Hans. To have this pretty little flower next to a dead tree truck for a background is pretty cool. I agree with Bill, maybe crop in so that it is just the tree trunk for the background.

Very artistic shot. Tighter crop will strengthen the comp too. Well doneā€¦Jim

Really like the setting of this flower with the tree trunk as its background. Nice findā€¦ In total agreement that a tighter crop would also work to give more importance to the flower and its fern type leaves.

@Bill_Fach, @Shirley_Freeman, @Jim_Zablotny, @Patricia_Brundage: Thanks to all for your comments!
Interesting to read that there is general agreement about a tighter crop. That would be something like the attached image. Iā€™m reluctant to crop even tighter, because thatā€™s moving far away from the ā€œfeelingā€ of the original shot. After processing the raw file I even hesitated about the crop that I posted first. It is a tiny flower, maybe half an inch, and to position it prominent in the frame would spoil the emotion of a lonely flower in front of a large, decaying piece of wood. But the sense of scale is already lost, because there is no clue in the image to estimate the dimensions of wood and flower. So I can live with the tighter crop that has been attached now.

Han: I like your crop and I appreciate your considerations. After giving it a bit more thought another alternative would be to use content aware fill to fill the corners of the original crop. Also, I edited your title to reflect the repost. Itā€™s a good idea to do that so others know youā€™ve revisited the image. Top notch work on this. >=))>

1 Like

Hans, I like the contrast between the beautiful flower and the stark and dark tree. I Like the tighter crop better than the first one, but I agree it loses something. Another option is to start the crop line at the right bottom edge of the tree, so that will give you more area of the tree. I tried to put a piece of paper to see what amount of crop looks good. I came up with the above. It is still a beautiful image, very artistic.

Thank you @ravi, I see what you mean. Many good suggestions in this thread!