Sleeping Babies

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This little band of mottled ducklings were taking a nap at the entrance to World Birding Center on South Padre Island at the end of April. This is actually on a little bit of a slope, so it appears to be a lower POV that it actually was.

Specific Feedback

Is the pond above the ducklings distracting?

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f20, 1/200 sec, iso 1250, 100-400/1.4TC at 560 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Ed, nice view of the sleeping ducklings. Love seeing the partially closed eyes on some of the birds. This is a fairly common scene at my neighborhood lake now as duckling season is here too. They like to stay hidden in the grass as they are on every predator’s menu it seems. This image captures this well.

Great POV. You look to be close to my age. How did you get down so low. A fun image.

1 Like

While the standard thought is that eye contact is necessary, this is the exception that works wonderfully, Ed. The POV is excellent (nothing wrong with saving your knees by using the terrain) and I love the way the ducklings are partially obscured by the grass blades. Well seen and photographed.

I am grateful for your comments @Allen_Sparks, @David_Schoen and @Dennis_Plank. David, I used the resources I had available to me. A nice down slope on the little hillside . . . yes, it is getting harder to get down low for those great ground level perspectives these days. :slightly_smiling_face: