Small Life in the Flower

Last Spring, I was photographing this flower and saw something small in one. I have no clue what he is other than a small beetle of some kind.

Specific Feedback Requested

I tried a square crop around the flower since the subject is small and I was not that close. Feedback welcome

Technical Details

90D 180 Macro 1/800 f/8 ISO 200 HH. I wonder if f/5.6 or 4 would have been better to soften the background more.

I had a look through my big book of beetles and didn’t see it on a first pass which is surprising considering how distinctive this little one is. Sorry.

I think the square crop works well and the colors are certainly nice. Realistic and varied. A great representational shot of the beetle’s activity and the flower itself.

You could try a bolder crop that loses a lot of the flower if you wanted it to be all about the beetle.

Thank you for the feedback, Kris. I am not very good at identify insects and it never fails that out of the millions in a book, the one I am looking for is never there. I considered a tighter crop on the insect, but like the story of life in the flowers. I did question my choice of DOF because I was pretty much in line with the flower, maybe f/4 would have worked out. He was not moving much at all.

Dean, thanks to one of NPN photographers, I think it was Jim Zablotny, I was told that this was a Cucumber Bug. I had submitted one on here a year or so ago at least.

I think the square crop works too. As for the crop, if it is about the bug for you, I could see cropping in closer to give him more prominence. I like that the flowers fill the frame up so it shows him in the land of plenty as flowers go, for this little guy.

1 Like