Snow Apollo

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Parnassius stubbendorfi males have just eclosed, and yesterday they were dashing around looking in vain for females. I had to wait 3 hours until this one finally stopped to briefly refuel before disappearing to his roost.

Specific Feedback

Did I crop in too closely? I have a wider version.

Technical Details

D500 + 105mm 1/1000 f5 ISO 400

Used the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom to lighten the upper part of the butterfly and to remove highlights on the flower head. In Photoshop removed two other flower heads, refined tonalities and sharpened a bit. Final cropping.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

What a cute fuzzy little guy. So delicate. The background colors are unusual and I like how well the subject stands out, especially that little flower. As a portrait, the crop works well for me and since there is nothing else in the shot, feels like the right choice.

1 Like

Beautiful capture, Mike. The soft blue/green gradient BG perfectly shows off the butterfly. The crop works for me, as it does give the butterfly room and details in both the thistle and butterfly show up nicely.

1 Like

I agree with Kris on this Mike. Great details in the hairs and wing venation. Nice job with the thistle head. Good BG to show off the main attraction.

1 Like

Clean out of the book Mike …very beautiful capture

Balan

1 Like

Gorgeous subject, composition and perch with great detail!!! The crop suits me perfectly and the BG is wonderful!

1 Like

Oh Mike, I am jealous! This is a really nice portrait of this beauty. He posed just right. And the BG is nice and smooth, making it all about him. I think the crop looks fine the way you have it. Very nice.

1 Like

Gorgeous image, Mike. I think this guy deserves the tight crop. Superb detail in the butterfly and the flower. The greens in the flower stem are a bit intense and seem to be trying to pull my eye, so you might tone them down just a bit.

Is the green in the wings actually there or is it the background showing through?

1 Like

Thank you for pointing out the stem, @Dennis_Plank. I’ve toned it down with the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom. The green you see “in” the wings is caused by the semi-transparency allowing some color to seep through from the BG. In reality the wings are grey-white. It’s what I love most about this butterfly; like when it sits on a brightly-colored flower and the color (and even structure) of the flower shows through. I’ve added a shot below to show the “natural” color (with semi-transparent leaves!)

3 Likes

Mike: I’m late to the party but this is excellent as is IMO. Having chased uncooperative butterflies like you describe I appreciate your persistence. A fine effort nicely rewarded.>=))>

1 Like

Your patience really paid off, allowing you to perfectly time this shot when the Parnassius stubbendorfi momentarily paused on the flower.

The shallow DOF you’ve chosen sharply isolates the butterfly and the flower from the background, drawing attention to the textures and patterns of the wings and the delicate structure of the bloom. The focus is tack sharp where it matters, emphasizing the intricate details of the butterfly’s body and wings, while the smoothly blurred background enhances the subject without any distractions.

The image conveys a profound sense of urgency and fragility. It captures a fleeting moment in nature, highlighting the ephemeral beauty of the butterfly’s life. This, coupled with the soft lighting, not only enhances the visual appeal of the photograph but also deepens the viewer’s emotional engagement, inviting them to ponder the transient nature of life itself.

This photograph is a beautiful blend of technical proficiency and poignant storytelling. Great work, Mike!

Thank you, Saundie, for your kind and thoughtful comments. This is indeed one of the more ephemeral species, and in two or three weeks will be gone. Your words are really appreciated, as I (nearly) always enjoy your photos and the commentaries you provide with them. Thank you also @Diane_Miller @Ed_Williams @Bill_Fach @Kris_Smith @linda_mellor Shirley and Balan - I love (nearly) all of your work too!

Thank you for the EP.

Mike,

This is awesome. You were lined up perfectly to get this shot at f5. Buttery smooth BG and tack sharp subject make this one an outstanding photo. Well deserved EP…Jim

Much appreciated, Jim.