Snowy at Sunrise

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On the one day we had with sunshine in Ontario amongst farmers’ fields we lucked out finding this snowy owl at sunrise preparing to take off after its prey. Nikon D800, Nikon 200-500 lens at 500 mm.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback or critiques are welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D 800 with wide open Nikon 200-500 at 500 mm. It was hard to get the hi lights right and some are blown out here.

1 Like

Rebecca, the soft, first light does a great job of showing off the owl’s details. I’m especially attracted to the yellow eye and the black claws. It’s a lovely portrait of this owl.

Thx for the feedback, Mark. They are such beautiful birds aren’t they?

This is really a beautiful capture. I did not notice blown highlights. I was seeing the soft slightly rose-gold light and the beautiful color and detail of the owl. I find that I appreciate the beauty of snowy nature photos much more than I used to. They are at least as special as the vibrant colors I’ve been historically drawn to. What a treat to put on the wall!

I agree with the comments of @Mark_Seaver and @karlag with one small suggestion: If it is to be printed large those two bright spots in front of the owl near the right edge might stand out. Wonderful portrait of a Snowy Owl.

Karla and Jim, thank you for your comments and Jim, good point on those hilites.