So that's what flying looks like.

This photograph was taken from the Zodiac on the Back River on Sept. 3 at 9AM. The Osprey’s nest is just to the right of this tree. Thank you for stopping by. Peter

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any

Technical Details

Canon 5, Canon 100*500mm & 1.4ext. , f10, 661mm, 1/1600, -1EV, ISO 2500. The shot is cropped by 60% and I adjusted the highlights in DXO Photo Lab6.

1 Like

Wow that’s a great shot. I love the pose and the one foot up. The tips of the wings show just below the tail feathers, too. Enormous wingspan on these guys. I like the looking up and out pose as if its not quite decided on flying yet. You could crop the OOF leaves on the very left edge and maybe a bit on the right; keeping most of the open space where it’s looking of course. What a treat to see one so close and in the open.

Beautiful bird nicely posed and captured. I like the composition though I might crop in slightly more from the left. Nicely done.

Great to see an osprey without a fish in its talons! It’s a fine pose, and I like the old oak tree too.

Wonderful capture, and moreso to be from a boat! I kine the quizzical look but it looks like this young female has figured how to fly a little bit – or do they branch? I’ve never seen a nest that didn’t look like the Space Needle so I doubt branching would be in their genes.

This is a lovely picture Peter, especially as you were in a boat to get it.
I think that it shows the bird in it’s environment well and offers us the slightly questioning look. I too would take out the OOF leaves on the left of frame.
To me the top of the head is just slightly merging with the focused foliage behind but overall I like it a lot.
Ospreys don’t nest in my part of the world, but I am hoping to see one maybe in spring as they do occasionally stop off in the south of England on their way to Scotland for the summer

Hi Kristen, Terry, Mike, Diane & Ryan
Thank you for your kind words. Diane, this juvenile had just landed in the tree, after a rather tuff love flying lesson the the adult Osprey.
Peter

1 Like

Lovely image, and I do like the natural feel to it. Nice work from a boat, good balancing skills. And thanks for explaining the title of your post :wink: . Nice work, Peter ! Hans

Hi Hans
Thank you for your kind words.
The Zodiac is really quiet stable and it allows me to shot from very shallow water.
Peter