Soaring above the Na Pali Coast

Playing human drone while on a doors off helicopter ride over the Na Pali Coast!

Nikon d850
Nikon 24-70 @ 70mm
1/1250, F8 ISO 800

How can I make this better? How’s the comp?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Jordan, the colors and shapes look great here, with the red to green to blue and some fine scattered light. The large view has a very fine “presence”, with notably more pop. I’m slightly bothered by the upper right corner. I’d like to see the top of that sunlit ridge, but since that probably means a return trip, I’m wondering how cropping from the right to have that ridge lead into the corner, would look.

Jordan: Great scene nicely captured. My wife and I did a doors off flight in a small plane in Denali and it was a real hoot. I envy your opportunity. I go along with Mark regarding a small crop from the right but would not want to lose that fine light on the ascending ridge. >=))>

Great stuff Jordan! The timing of your flight and direction of shooting were just right for the shadows to reveal the unique terrain. I agree with the right crop.

At first it felt a little “squishy” at the top, but then I realized I was “feeling” the rotor just overhead out of frame. I used to do a lot of aerials, both fixed wing and helicopter, before retiring and clearly you’ve subtly set the stage so well I felt I was there with you. Nicely portrayed look at a unique landscape.

Jordan,

Beautiful image. The layers here are creating excellent depth, and I love the daunting and impressive cliffs of the bg mountain.

Without seeing the original frame, I would say the composition works nicely. The only thing I can suggest for improvement would be to open up the shadow detail in the URC (as opposed to cropping.)

Processing, colors, etc. all look quite natural. Excellent job.

Lon