Some days you just need a good blow dry

Description:

These photographs were taken in the marsh behind Rock Heck state Park, Ct on July 15 at 8:26 AM. As you can probably tell by these shot, I have changed my camera body, form a Canon 7Dll to the Canon R5. It is like stepping out my Cheve S10 and setting down in my 1998 BMW Z3. This is my first time out with the camera. I spent 2 hours on Whistling Wings Photography and Tony & Chelsea Northrup web sights trying to set up the R5. I had planed to trade in my 7Dll and Sigma 150-600mm lens for the R5 and Canon’s 100-500mm lens and add a 1.4X. Well, the lens is on back order, so I am still using my Sigma 150-600mm. Let me know what you thing about this setup.
Thank you for stopping by
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested:

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon R5, Sigma 150-600mm, F7.1, photo Lab 4. I also used the reaper tool to remove some small sticks in the water.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I love the action - the series put a smile on my face for sure. Nice details and the variation in the whites is really pleasing. I can’t comment on the camera set up, but since I have a 1998 M3, I think I understand the comparison moving to a more sophisticated set up. :grinning:

Very nice, Peter. I suspect the Canon 100-500 might focus a touch more quickly, but maybe not since you need to add the 1.4 to get more focal length. Image quality looks very good. I know what you mean about the setup. I’ve spent at least 8 hours thus far on the A1 and there are still things I need to do.

Hi Kristen
I had a choice between a green Z3 and black M3. Like the look of the green and saved a few thousand.
Peter

Nice series. Light on face looks best in number 2 but number 1 is similar. Good job on the detail.

Very cute series! I love watching the Northrups! I like their books too!

Fun series – a typical bad hair day! And congrtats on the R5!! There should be an R5 setup Discussion. Start one with some questions and you’ll get good info.

The 100-500 is worth waiting for and you will get faster AF. Get the 2X while you’re at it – it’s amazing to hand hold 1000mm and the quality is excellent. The TCs do prevent zooming to the full range, though – you can only zoom out to the 300mm mark with either. And you have to zoom farther than that to mount them, which is awkward but SO worth it.

Now you need to upgrade to a Maserati.