Spotted Towhee and repost

A wet and rainy day here in the Pacific Northwest but a hungry Towhee with something to say just the same.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-1600, 100-400 at 400 mm, F7 .1, 2000th, no flash, handheld, cloudy and rainy, 70% of full frame, A7r4

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Excellent, David. I really like the pose and open beak. The line of the perch through the frame is also pretty cool, but the out of focus areas, particularly the foreground one are quite distracting. If this is one of your setup perches, you could probably go out today and take another shot of with the foreground area in focus and merge the two (you could even do the background if you really got crazy about it). The broader bright green background just screams Spring and I like it a lot.

I agree with Dennis’s assessment here about the FG, David. I really think you have captured an excellent frame here with the pose and light. I do think the eye is slightly soft? I think it’s my work laptop monitor. I viewed it on my editing monitor and the eye looks fine, perhaps a touch more DOF would be nice to cover the beak but there are other consequences to that.

A nice look at a singing Towhee. I like the perch and the red and green contrast. To address Dennis’s comment I could see a horizontal view, cropping just below the dark area on top and the oof part of the limb below-may need to add a little canvas in spots.

What I see first are the great contrasting colors and the diagonal limb. I like the composition along with the little guys facial expression. Great photo David.

Bird looks good and sharp. I echo Dennis’s comment concerning the perch. The greens and yellows are awfully strong. I think I’d tame them a bit.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Here is a repost with suggestions provided by the viewing audience. It really is helpful having this much feedback from experienced photographers like yourself. I’m happy to see Adhika and Dennis are back posting. Yes, it has been tough everywhere in the world. Thanks again and it will be nice if we all keep active both posting and commenting.

2 Likes