Spotted Towhee

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I was fortunate to snag this shot of a Spotted Towhee in some fresh snow. Cool looking bird! D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, gimbal/tripod, 1/400th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 560, cropped to 3683 x 2620, AI Clear.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Dave, this in quite nice. The snowy setting is a wonderful complement to the subject, and the head and eye really pop off the screen.

Max

Dave, I am not familiar with this beautiful bird, but I am enjoying this very much. The bright colors of the bird and his eye, with the snow scene makes for a great combination.

I think this is really beautiful, Dave. It’s only a shame that the twig cuts off the tail. But it is really a minor thing compared to the whole image.

Adhika-

Agreed. Both of those subject crossing twigs are unfortunate to have, but I’m trying to think of them as “environment” elements… Thanks for the thought sharing!

Nice detail and great exposure of the dark bird against the snow, Dave. I think the background branches work fine for this bird.

I really like this because of the color on the orange plumage and the shade of gray in the background which really makes the image feel like it was taken in the snow. That said, I think some of the remove the branches are quite distracting. I took the liberty of removing those that distracted me the most, using the spot healing brush and the clone stamp. These are very neat birds and they look great in the snow. yes, it is always a matter of discretion on how one uses these tools to modify an image.

1 Like

Dave: This is a very nice image. I really enjoy the habitat with the snow and branches. Yes, a few intersect the bird, but I don’t think it is an issue. Usually these guys are down on the ground so to get a nice view like this with a nice pose is very special. Nicely captured.

Great shot. This one drew my attention from the thumbnail and didn’t disappoint. The colorful bird against the snow makes for a great composition. I’m okay with the branch over the rear, though would probably remove the branch coming out of the head.

Great shot! Love the colors. The twig removal really looks well done and helps build the framing of the bird. Nicely done @Dave_Douglass and @David_Schoen!

David’s twig treatment worked very well. You could try to pull out more detail in the snow that is in focus before printing. Otherwise, excellent shot…Jim

I too like David’s treatment of the twigs however I think the desaturated colors kinda rob this bird’s brilliant colors.