Spotted Towhee

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Photo was taken last February. I was down on hand and knees photographing some ducks and this bird decided to check me out.
Full size vertical crop from a horizontal. perhaps a bit tight in places but it is a tight shot. 7DII, 700mm, f/6.3, 1/400, ISO 400

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very nice shot of the Towhee with lovely colors and good detail, David. To me this feels too tight. Since you cropped from a horizontal, I think you might want to expand to the sides, particularly the right and add canvas top and bottom which should be easy with that uniform background.

It is a bit tight in the frame but a very nice look at the Towhee…

Nice exposure although I think you could really bring out some more of the detail in the black plumage. There are a few places where the detail gets lost. Of course that is the challenge with dark plumage or bright plumage. I agree that the crop is tight.

I have added a bit more room all around and a tad more inn front of towhee. I also did a bit of work on some of the blacks to show some of the detail.

Yes, much better! I always appreciate images that are more portraits than environmental. Lovely detail and a very nice BG.

Excellent techs and the repost nails it! Nicely done. best, Hans