Spotted Towhee

What technical feedback would you like if any? probably should have been at f6.3 or f8 to get back and tail plumage in focus. Might be a little tight on the crop but this was threading a needle with a lot of less desirable stuff at the frame edges.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 1000, 560mm, f4.5, 800th, A7R4, tripod, fill flash at 1.7, 50% full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David
On the framing, I would only add a little head room. As for the tail plumage being out of focus, I like that it bring the viewer eye up to the Robins eye. The detail is outstanding. Of the new mirror-less camera, why did you pick Sony.
Peter

Nicely composed with a pleasing background. Excellent detail in the head; the oof tail isn’t that big an issue with me. Nice use of the flash.

Beautiful detail where it needs to be. The OOF tail works for me as it is obscured in soft foliage. I might consider burning down some of the foliage – it is pretty but that makes it compete a bit.

Lovely shot, Dennis, and you are probably not surprised that the shallow DOF works for me. Cheers, Hans